Thursday, April 1, 2010

So You Want To Play In a Band Part 4





I've been trying to bring this band saga up to the current date. To my best recollection the band started out with Jerry, Todd, Pete and I for the first few practices. Mark was added next and he had suggested Dave to come and play.
Melissa, who just happened to be my barber, was making small talk as she was cutting my hair. She knew that I played saxophone so we were talking music. "I may be joining a band," she said. "Thats great!, I didnt know you sang." I replied.
"The band leader is one of my customers. He is looking for an R&B /Motown lead vocal."
"Wait a minute. Trumpet player white hair, goes by Jerry?"
"Thats the guy." she said
"Then I guess I will see you Wednesday, thats the band I'm in."

We all met on the following Wednesday and Melissa was in. The final piece of the ensemble was Al brought in by Jerry. Al is full of suprises as you will here as this unfolds.

The first practice we learned two songs we were ok. I thought we sounded pretty good. What did I know this was the first band I was a part of. Jerry was less impressed.

The next practice Melissa let us know that we had been offered to play a benefit at the AML (American Military League) the first friday in March. All of us are very excited. Did I say all of us? Jerry does not belive we can be ready for it. The band decides to accept the gig. Two hours of music will require 20 tunes. The band also decides that we will need 2 practices per week to make this happen.

We met as a band not only twice a week but there were sectionals at various members homes.
Steady progress was being made. At somepoint we a name was needed. I thought this would easy it proved to be anything but. No less then two hours of names, sketches of logos, and votes to come up with BLUESHADOW. The final result has served us well.

The first gig started to come up on us fast. Before we knew it the night arrived. We followed an Elvis performer he was pretty good. We rose to the night and played song better than we had previously practiced them. The crowd started off light but by the end the dance floor was full.
The Elvis performer approached the band and ask if he could do a song with us. Although it was great that he thought he wanted to be a part of our performance I wanted to be sure that it was OK with Melissa. We picked a song from our music that we not ever played and did a good job sight reading on the spot. "Elvis" left his card. He wanted to do that again sometime.

Let me say it right here playing a gig in a hall filled with energetic dancers gives you a high like no other. It took me a good hour to come down from that endorphine rush.

No comments:

Post a Comment