Sunday, March 28, 2010

So You Want To Play In a Band Part 3






Here’s where it gets interesting. I had been playing small groups and the College Jazz Lab Band. One night after jazz band I was approached in the parking lot by Jerry Byville. I knew Jerry from different jam sessions I had a played around the area. He was fine trumpet player and improviser. He had this idea of starting a band with a full horn section (trpt, trmb, and sax). You need to get the full picture- this was the last week of October it was dark, raining/sleeting and cold. We were huddled next to a truck listening to Louis Jordan singing Caledonia. Then he popped the question, “well what do you think?” Jerry Byville only has two speeds- go and go hard. I knew from this conversation that he would require a high level of dedication to this band which resonated with my own ideas. At this point I asked about other band members and was informed that Todd Oliver would be on trombone. I was sold. Our first practice would be the following Wednesday. I went home that evening pretty excited and a little nervous. This was what I had been striving for, but I wondered if I would be able to play in that environment.



Wednesday came and Jerry, Todd and I met at Jerry’s (in the basement). Jerry had recorded a few MP3 key board parts for us to play along with. Caledonia and Let’s Stay Together were the first charts we worked on, some hand written, some professional arrangements. We played for a couple of hours and then we sat and discussed our next steps.
We needed to fill out the rhythm section, bass, keyboards, guitar, and drums. The search was on! I had Pete Murphy in mind for drums. I did know a couple guitarists; however I was not sure if their style was correct for the band we were forming. I decided to have another open jam session at Espresso Bay. I invited Pete and a guitarist and bassist that I knew. Jerry and Todd were also there. Pete played like I knew he would. Jerry wasted no time and invited him to our next practice.



As for the rest of the members of the band, Jerry had invited them to try out. We listened and discussed with each member the dedication it would require to make this band happen. As they agreed they joined. Dave North bassist, he has a tremendous ability to create interesting bass lines that fit into any style the band is playing. Mark Filbert on guitar, the beauty and soul he put in every lick made me think of Wes Montgomery. Al Lynch on keyboards, his background playing horns, guitar, and others made him full of insight and surprises. Lead vocals were handled by Melissa Burrone. She sang rhythm and blues like no one I had ever heard before. She could handle a crowd (as we would find out later).



Well there it is, the first incarnation of the yet to be named BlueShadow Band.
Jerry Byville –trumpet
Todd Oliver-trombone
Bill Kneisel-saxophones
Pete Murphy-drums
Mark Filbert-guitar
Dave North-bass
Melissa Burrone-lead vocals
Al Lynch-keyboards

Next Time –First gig only 2 months away

No comments:

Post a Comment