Wednesday, April 21, 2010

So You Want To Play In a Band Part 10




Check Spelling
Band Business 101




BlueShadow had been together in one form or another for a little more than a year. We decided it was time to make it official. In band meetings, which occur 5 minutes before practice, we discussed options for an official entity. These discussions went on for a couple of months. In the mean time, I was taking the checks for the band and filing out the form 1099. In February I did my taxes. The I.R.S. sent me a note reminding me that I had become self employed as a musician and there would be consequences. The next time BlueShadow met I pushed hard for an L.L.C. Everybody had Ideas of how that would be formed. However, by the next practice we were no closer to that goal.




Jerry and I went to see a lawyer. He could certainly get it done for $500. The Band did not want to spend that kind of money to form an L.L.C. I looked online to see if we could do it ourselves. Jerry and I met and discussed our options. Still feeling like it was never going to get done, I felt another check looming at the next Friday’s gig. Fortunately for me the check writer that night was not there. I fained disappointment but inside felt a little relief. I would just collect after we formed our corporation.




Once again Jerry stepped up to the plate and purchased a book “How to Set Up an L.L.C.”. We decided to not form the corporation under the BlueShadow name. Instead Frankie Productions was used. Frankie is a name with meaning for the original members. Jerry’s leg work and a trip to the bank finalized the L.L.C. I don’t want to forget that Bev, Jerry’s wife, was very involved in creating this corporation. It was formidable task creating Frankie Productions from a group of Band Monkeys, as we are referred to by Bev.




Now for a logo and to that end, a phone call to Mark Meyer, good friend and amazing artist. Pete, Mark and I met at a coffee shop downtown. Pete expressed some Ideas to Mark. On the back of a scrap of paper he started sketching. Within 10 minutes we had 2 great ideas. At the last moment Mark said he had an idea, and with 2 strokes of an eraser added a white mustache. Looks like anyone we know? It was Jerry—perfect.




Being in a band does not just mean showing up and playing a horn, guitar, or singing. There are literally hundreds of small details that need attention to make a band work. Forming the L.L.C. was just one of those details. It is not always fun, but it is worth it. Every band needs at least 1 “Jerry” to move the band forward, pushing it to evolve and improve.



No comments:

Post a Comment