Saturday, March 6, 2010

So You Want To Play In a Band Part 1





To start with I love to listen to Jazz. Hank Mobley, Stanley Turrentine, Stan Getz and John Coltrane being my favorites. The abilty to take a tune, mold it and move the lines to create a completely new piece of music. This is where it starts.

I found that I wanted to create music in a similar way.

30 years ago I did play clarinet and bass clarinet and would on occassion take the clarinet out, dust it off and play pieces that I played in High School.

Fast Forward to 2004- my son was playing Bari Sax in the Jazz Band and was bringing the school's bari home to practice. I think that is when I was hooked.

I purchased my own reeds and played it whenever I could. As high school students do, my son graduated, and with that the bari was gone.

I continued to play on an old alto sax, playing along with John Coltrane on his Ballads recording.

Finally, I decided to take it the next step. I told my wife that I wanted to feel confident enough to play in front of other people and possibly get paid. Her response was and I quote "I would rather walk on glass than perform in public." She suported me anyway and a very inexpensive Tenor Sax was purchased.

I learned basic chord changes on tunes like Summertime, Autunm in New York, Song for My Father and 10 others. Gathering all of my nerve I set off for some of the small eateries to try my luck.

What I found was that no one wanted to pay you to play at their place. I am not sure what I had expected. Stopping at the House of Doggs (small place that sold hot dogs with a kinda of a House of Blues theme) the owner said he was thinking of doing Kareoke but he would let me play the next Friday.

Friday came along and using the sound system for the Kareoke, I put a CD with rythm back up.
I had asked a few friends to come along to support the effort and buy a couple of hot dogs. Suprisingly the first couple of songs went off pretty well. I even had perfect strangers applaude. The owner came out with a jar with sign that said "TIPS" and some notes drawn on it. Then it happen a guy who had been listening to the first set. Stood up smiled and nodded and dropped a five in to the Jar. I almost lost chord progression in shock. By the end of the evening there was nearly $30 in the jar. I went to the kids working the counter and split it with them.

The Owner asked me back for next the Friday. Before I played my first note on that occasion he spotted the Tip Jar $20 in various bills.

I have found that many horn players are also looking for a place play in public. My friend Todd played along side me at the House of Doggs. We found a real kinship for playing jazz together. I want to say that there are moments when playing with other musicians you will communicate with them musically and it becomes a coversation that is then shared with patrons (audience) it is a special moment. This has happened over and over again yet it is a new thrill each time.

At this time I was holding Jazz Jam sessions at Espresso Bay(in the back room). These started out with just me and some recorded tracks. A guitar player I met at the coffee house joined me and played a few times, just the two of us. Todd made it a regular trio on Thursday nights. The three of us played one paying gig as the "Jazz Cats".

One evening we were doing our thing and a young man popped in and asked if we could use a drummer. We said we could and that we would be here next week at the same time. Pete showed up with his kit. I am here to tell that Pete Murphy is best jazz drummer I have ever played with. His abilty to make that kit sound melodic was nothing less than amazing.

I have had as few as 2 and as many as 9 muscians packed into that back room. It can become a riot one player trying to top another.

Putting yourself out there in different sitiuations becomes a chance to grow.
My wife clipped out of Northern Michigan College class offerings, the 5:30 Jazz Band Lab. "You should look into this." as she handed me the snippet of paper. I had my doubts that I could sit in with a Big Band with real charts.
It was an education on Basie, Goodman, and Miller. You will learn how to SWING in that setting. In that setting I was asked to play the lead clarinet on "Lets Dance" and "Moonlight Serenade". I stood in front of that band and played for all I was worth. We recorded those charts and I will include them in this space.

I will get back later ----I have a gig to get to.

No comments:

Post a Comment