Saturday, August 17, 2013

So Want to be in a Band Part 35

PARTING WAYS


Being in a band means dedication.  Due to changes in my "day  job" I could no longer put the time and effort into the BlueShadow Band.  So with great sadness I contacted Jerry, Todd and Pete the original members to let the know of my decision to leave.  They told me to show up at gigs to sit in.  We will see.   This transpired February 2013.
July 17
Tonight is the first night that The BlueShadow Band is performing and I am not there.  It's a gig that the band has played before.  I sure it's going well.  Steve Weldon is playing tenor sax .  I had always thought I would return to BlueShadow but now I don't believe that will happen.
  I plan on playing a couple tunes sometime during the Summer season but that will be it.
It feels like a small part of me is going  to be missing.
Maybe I should join or create a small group like a trio/quartet .
March 12
Two weeks have passed and I have made a few inquires to other musicians, that I have played with in the past if they are interested in forming a Trio
May 10
With the New Jazz Trio (I will Call it that for now) I will move on.  A jazz trio does not take the type of time and effort that an 8 piece Motown band does.
JUNE 26
The Trio played at a coffee house it went pretty well for the first time out. No train wrecks. so we will continue on.
JULY 5
  NJT played last Friday
at the local Biggby's and played well.  We may even have stirred some  interest at the Elks club and a local restaurant. We will see what happens.

The gig at Biggby's did manage to stir interest in the Trio.  We were ask to play at private birthday party.  Our regular drummer was unable to play,  So I tapped Pete Murphy to fill in.  It was very comforting to have a familiar quality drummer laying down a path for the group to follow.  The night went well... We were payed a bonus and more importantly a promise of future gigs.
Things seem to moving right along with the NJT.  Dave was asked to have the Band perform at The Acme Fall Festival and the best part is that Joanie Stanley asked to sing a couple songs with the trio.
Just yesterday the American Cancer Society asked us to play for their fundrasier on the same day as the fall festival.  The performances are  far enough apart we will be able to pull it off.

Stay Tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment