Saturday, August 25, 2012

So You Want to be in a Band Part 29








August --a very busy time for the BlueShadow Band.


Classic Car Shows, Church events, Street Dances, and Concerts in the Park are the order for Summer gigs.
The first of 3 Classic Car Shows took place in Traverse City at Culvers'. These gigs are a great time for the Band. The Minor League Ball Club sends their Mascots over to clown around with the
car owners and of course the Band.





JERRY ARM WRESTLING SUN TAN
OF THE BEACH BUMS BASEBALL CLUB


SUN BURN THE OTHER MASCOT WORKING OVER MICKEY

The BlueShadow Band played like a Band. I was very pleased when one of the local Jazz Trio's leader (a musician I have a lot of respect for) came up to me between sets to tell me that the band sounded great and he really was enjoying the performance. I was just glad he remembered my name!

2 Days later we were at a small ampitheater in the woods playing for a Church. We did not get payed much, however they did arrange for Angie and me to appear on a local news cast.

We arrived at the station about an hour before we were to go on. While sitting in the waiting room we chatted about the next performance, which songs to cut and which to keep, among other band topics. Quietly, Angie and I were ushered on to the set, as the news cast was still in progress.


Once on the set, we sat in chairs off to the side. I found it interesting that the actual set was no more than a large cinder block room with motorized cameras mounted in the center and three of the four walls looking like the scenes you see on the broadcast. A news desk with network logo behind, a wall that was completely green, and the leather chairs with a Traverse City back drop. The latter being the scene for our interview. During the news cast the I observed that the hardest working player is the weatherman. He's bobbing and weaving between cameras as he walks from one set to another telling about the weather. He then arrives at the big green wall to pantomime the weather patterns across the State by looking at a small monitor for reference. Just before they went to break the anchor pitched the "Northwest Michigan Fair" which included a jingle. With that we were lead to the leather chairs and fitted with microphones.


Erica Erickson (the news anchor) sat down and quickly went over the talking points. "Oh by the way" she asked, "would you mind singing the Northwest Michigan Fair jingle?" I quickly pointed out that I played saxophone in the Band and do not sing. Now I felt a little bad a
bout throwing Angie under the bus like that, but I don't get sing on gigs I was certainly not going to sing a goofy jingle on on T.V. Well, the interview went fine and of course Angie sang beautifully. What a fun experience.

Mid Month we had a gig Labeled as a Concert in the Park. The group sponsoring thus event had hired us the previous fall for a private party. I was surprised by the number of people at the concert. Nearly 300 people enthusiastically listening and some dancing. When the Band started to play Barefootin' I kicked off my sandals and a group in the front row did the same.

How about some pictures













































Here I came out to Dance and play with my Sister Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment